Internship – Kennebec Explorers Day Camp
Internship - Kennebec Explorers Day Camp
Maine Maritime Museum, an internationally recognized cultural institution, located on the Kennebec River in Bath seeks an Intern to learn from our Programs Team and play a key role helping the museum to continue to grow and excel. If you are interested in gaining content for college applications or are interested in a career in environmental education, museum education, experiential education, or recreation studies, then this is the internship for you!
Maine Maritime Museum (MMM) is an independent, nonprofit institution dedicated to promoting an understanding and appreciation of Maine’s maritime heritage and culture through gallery exhibits, an historic shipyard, educational programs, a research Library, and narrated excursions along area waterways. Founded in 1962, the Museum is located on a beautiful 20-acre campus on the banks of the Kennebec River in “The City of Ships” and provides a unique experience to visitors of all ages from around the world.
The MMM experience includes indoor galleries with changing exhibits on historic and contemporary maritime issues, the monumental evocation of the schooner Wyoming, an active boat shop that teaches traditional skills to students and adults, and popular river cruises and industry tours that help people gain an entirely new understanding and appreciation of Maine’s maritime culture. More than 275 volunteers spend their time working with the staff, the collections, and visitors to contribute to the enrichment of thousands of lives. Engaged donors support the Museum in order to leave a lasting legacy that will inform – and transform – future generations. MMM strives to enrich the lives of residents and visitors and be the fullest expression of what a museum can be.
The Camp Assistant Intern observes and engages with the summer Kennebec Explorers Day Camp staff for an educational training experience in recreation management and non-formal education programming.
Learning Agenda / Projects / Trainings Include:
• Environmental education basics
• How to facilitate safe recreation activities for young children
• Fostering stewardship in children
• Cooperative games and activities for young children
• The basics of classroom management techniques
• How to craft engaging activities for children ages 7-11
• Comfort and confidence around young children
• Be able to model appropriate behavior in front of camp participants
• Be able to participate in boat cruises
• Ability be outdoors for extended periods of time
• Ability to hike over varied and non-groomed terrain for extended periods of time
• Ability to canoe, kayak, or paddleboard for an extended period of time
• Participate in active cooperative recreation games
• Interns must be at least 16 years old by the start of their internship week
Summer Camp Internship sessions available: June 25-29, July 9-13, July 16-20, July 23-27, July 30 - August 3, August 6-10, August 13-17, and August 20-24.
Hours are 9am-4pm, Monday through Friday, one week-long session of camp, $100 stipend.
Please apply using our online application at MaineMaritimeMuseum.org and provide one non-familial reference.
Applications will be accepted until available weeks are filled.
This position is subject to sex offender and criminal background checks.
To apply, complete an online application. Applications will be accepted until the positions are filled.