The Maine Maritime Museum is looking for a detail oriented, self-motivated team player to join our Finance Department as the Staff Accountant. Under the supervision of the Director of Finance, the Staff Accountant will be responsible for a variety of accounting functions ranging from accounts payable to journal entries to assisting in the preparation of financial statements. The Staff Accountant will also use their communication skills to interact with and assist other departments with their financial needs. The ideal candidate for this position is a skilled multi-tasker, reliable, and a committed professional. The Staff Accountant position is a full-time, salaried position with full benefits. Starting salary is $40k – $50k annually, commensurate with education and experience.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
• Process accounts payable, including preparation of checks. Ensure correct coding, authorization, and documentation.
• Prepare journal entries, reconciliations, and assist in the month-end closing process.
• Apply payments to accounts receivable.
• Post payroll journal entries.
• Account for investment earnings.
• Financial Reporting & Analysis: Assist in the production of timely, accurate, and complete monthly financial statements.
• Assist in the preparation of supporting documentation for the annual audit.
• Ensure that the Museum complies with existing standards and best practices.
• Assist with the ongoing transition of office practices and documentation to a digital environment.
• Schedule: Monday to Friday; 40 hours per week
• Associates or Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Finance, Business or related field.
• Experience as bookkeeper/accountant preferred.
• Thrives in a team-oriented, collaborative culture built on respect.
• Computer Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite of products, especially Excel.
• Self-motivated, accountable and accurate
• Ability to juggle multiple priorities self-sufficiently
• Good writing and math skills
• Strong work ethic
• Reliably commute to Bath, ME 04530 or planning to relocate before starting work (required)
MAINE MARITIME MUSEUM, located in Bath, Maine, is an independent, nonprofit institution dedicated to celebrating Maine’s vibrant maritime culture. Because this culture includes different backgrounds, perspectives, and voices—and because our museum welcomes visitors from around the world—our institution is firmly committed to diversity, equity, accessibility, and inclusion.
If you believe in museums’ important role to reveal the past, to inform the present, and to shape the future, we invite you to become part of our team. You will join us on the beautiful banks of the Kennebec River, on a twenty-acre campus where collaboration and creativity
• Health insurance
• Dental insurance
• Vision insurance
• Life/AD&D Insurance
• 403(b) retirement plan
• Paid time off, including 15 holidays, plus vacation, personal days, and sick time.
The Maine Maritime Museum is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, familial status, domestic violence status, or any other status protected by law.
Please email a cover letter and resume to email@example.com.