Maine Maritime Museum (MMM) is an independent, nonprofit institution dedicated to
celebrating Maine’s vibrant maritime culture. Because this culture includes different
backgrounds, perspectives, and voices—and because our museum welcomes visitors from
around the world—our institution is firmly committed to diversity, equity, accessibility, and
If you believe in museums’ important role to reveal the past, to inform the present, and to shape
the future, we invite you to join our team. You will join us on the beautiful banks of the
Kennebec River, on a twenty-acre campus where collaboration and creativity are encouraged.
Reporting to the senior leadership team, the Staff Accountant is responsible for day-to-day
accounting at MMM. The Staff Accountant also works closely with the Director of
Development, the Director of Programs & Operations, the Office & Human Resources Assistant,
and contracted staff.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Completes general accounting functions including preparing journal entries, recording revenue and processing accounts payable, and completing the month-end closing.
- Manages cash, including recording of receipts from donors and members, admissions, tours, and the store.
- Reviews payroll prior to processing (ADP) and ensures it is properly recorded.
- Completes reconciliations of accounts, including restricted funds and the investment
- Maintains accounting application (Sage), including reconciliation to fund-raising
software (Altru) and to the museum store point-of-sale system (Shopify).
- Performs other related duties as required.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
Degree in accounting. Two years of experience showing growth in responsibility. Non-profit experience required. CPA and/or public accounting experience is a plus.
- Proven nonprofit accounting knowledge and experience.
- Thrives in a team-oriented, collaborative culture built on respect.
- Knowledge of and experience working with web accounting systems—ideally Sage.
- Familiarity with Financial Edge (legacy) a plus.
- Knowledge of Uniform Prudent Management of Institutional Funds Act (UPMIFA).
- Able to effectively function as a financial resource to senior staff.
- Able to organize time effectively and remain flexible during seasonally changing demands.
- Excellent written and oral presentation skills. Able to compose correspondence and reporting that is creative, convincing, and concise.
The Staff Accountant position is a full-time, salaried, exempt position with full benefits in Bath,
Maine. Starting salary is $50,000–$65,000 per annum, commensurate with experience.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
MMM is an equal opportunity employer and does not tolerate discrimination based on race,
color, religion, national origin, gender identity, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability,
age, protected genetic information, status as a parent, marital status, political affiliation, or any
other basis prohibited by applicable law.
Please email a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.