Assistant Day Camp Leader
Maine Maritime Museum (MMM), an internationally recognized cultural institution located on the Kennebec River in Bath seeks an Assistant Day Camp Leader to join our programs team and play a key role helping the museum to continue to grow and excel. If you are an enthusiastic and creative person who cares about Maine’s cultural heritage, who enjoys working with people, and wants to make things happen, then consider joining our team!
The part-time, seasonal, Assistant Day Camp Leader provides energetic support of MMM’s mission as a key member of the programs team. The Assistant Day Camp Leader is responsible for guiding seven weeks of summer day camp by facilitating safe, entertaining, and educational experiences for youth enrolled in the program. The museum prides itself on creating engaging, meaningful, and enriching programs for visitors of all ages. Summer Day Camp at the museum specifically looks to deliver memorable and quality experiences for children through low camper-to-staff ratios.
The Assistant Day Camp Leader position reports to the Camp Leader and is a part-time seasonal position not to exceed 40 hours a week. The Assistant Day Camp Leader serves as support for the Camp Leader in all camp activities. The Assistant Day Camp Leader is responsible for delivering environmentally focused camp programs and activities, ensuring the safety and wellbeing of campers, preparation of camp activities, assisting in the arrangement of transportation and scheduling for off-site trips, and overseeing early drop off and late pick up of campers.
Maine Maritime Museum
MMM is an independent, nonprofit institution dedicated to promoting an understanding and appreciation of Maine’s maritime heritage and culture through gallery exhibits, an historic shipyard, educational programs, a research Library, and narrated excursions along area waterways. Founded in 1962, the Museum is located on a beautiful 20-acre campus on the banks of the Kennebec River in Bath, “The City of Ships”, and provides a unique experience to visitors of all ages from around the world. Visit www.mainemaritimemuseum.org for more information.
- Teach short non-formal education activities
- Facilitate camp activities such as games, science experiments, hikes, crafts and other camp activities
- Set up and clean up materials for teaching programs
- Supervise campers
- Work with the Camp Leader to develop and implement fun activities for campers
- Give direction to Senior Camp Counselor, Camp Counselors, and Camp Assistants
- Provide feedback on programs to Camp Leader and Education Coordinator
- Direct volunteers to assist during the program
- Train counselors and staff when required
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned
- Experience teaching children ages 6-12 years old
- Have an engaging, energetic, fun, positive, and coherent teaching style
- Display a positive and mature management style that leads by example
- Effectively apply classroom management techniques
- Have some knowledge of environmental science or maritime history
- Be able to professionally represent MMM
- Must have or obtain First Aid /CPR certification before the first day of camp
- Ability to teach on the museum cruise boat Merrymeeting
- Ability to lift up to 35 pounds and be outdoors for extended periods of time
- Ability to hike over varied and non-groomed and sand terrain for extended periods of time
- Ability to either canoe, kayak, or paddleboard for short periods of time
- Facilitate and participate in active cooperative recreation games
Weekly camp sessions run June 24 through August 23 (excluding days during the week of July 4, and July 29 through Aug. 1) with additional days available for camp preparation, clean-up, and trainings. Rotating staff shifts consist of: 8 am-4 pm and 9:30 am-5:30 pm, Monday through Friday.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Please send a resume and a cover letter to email@example.com.
Date Posted: 2/6/2019
This position is subject to sex offender and criminal background checks.
Maine Maritime Museum is an Equal Opportunity Employer.