Maine Maritime Museum (MMM), seeks an energetic, organized Curatorial Assistant to work with the museum’s curatorial staff for six months, with the possibility of extension. If you are an enthusiastic and driven person who enjoys organizing, documenting, and caring for museum collections, then consider joining our team.
This is a six-month, full-time, paid opportunity with a flexible start date. Responsibilities include updating collections records; coordinating and corresponding with lenders and other institutions; maintaining organized collection storage spaces; photographing collections; preparing collections for accession or deaccession; aiding exhibit installation; and other duties as required. The successful candidate will have completed coursework in History, Art History, Museum Studies, or Library Science and possess excellent organizational, written and interpersonal skills.
Maine Maritime Museum
Maine Maritime Museum (MMM) is an independent, nonprofit institution dedicated to promoting an understanding and appreciation of Maine’s maritime heritage and culture through gallery exhibits, an historic shipyard, educational programs, a research Library, and narrated excursions along area waterways. Founded in 1962, the Museum is located on a beautiful 20-acre campus on the banks of the Kennebec River in Bath, “The City of Ships” and provides a unique experience to visitors of all ages from around the world.
The MMM experience includes indoor galleries with changing exhibits on historic and contemporary maritime issues, the monumental evocation of the schooner Wyoming, an active boat shop that teaches traditional skills to students and adults, popular river cruises, and industry tours that help people gain an entirely new understanding and appreciation of Maine’s maritime culture. More than 275 volunteers spend their time working with the staff, the collections, and visitors to contribute to the enrichment of thousands of lives. Engaged donors support the museum in order to leave a lasting legacy that will inform – and transform – future generations. MMM strives to enrich the lives of residents and visitors and be the fullest expression of what a museum can be.
The museum has a staff of approx. 30 year round and an additional 20 seasonal staff, 275+ volunteers, and an active and supportive board of trustees. MMM is accredited by the American Alliance of Museums and adheres to the highest standards of the museum profession.
● Coordinates the safe retrieval and storage of collection pieces, assists in the installation and/or assembly of pieces for exhibition, and safely prepares objects for deaccession and/or loans.
● Performs basic housekeeping of collection storage spaces, including clearing work areas, reshelving items, identifying conservation concerns, and tracking artifact processing.
● Helps coordinate acquisitions, deaccessions, and loans with potential lenders, dealers, and other institutions.
● Helps maintain and update accurate records pertaining to the collection, using Past Perfect collections management system.
● Assists in exhibition installation as required, including retrieval and processing of artifacts; correspondence with lenders, artist, and donors; and general exhibit installation tasks.
● Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in History, Art History, Museum Studies, Library Science, or a related field. At least 6 months of experience directly related to the duties and responsibilities specified.
● Highly developed writing and copy editing skills.
● Skilled in the appropriate handling, transportation, and storage of collection artifacts.
● Knowledge of basic museum processes and procedures.
● Strong attention to detail, high level of accuracy, and strong problem-solving skills.
● Ability to work effectively with staff, volunteers, trustees, and the public.
● Proficiency in Microsoft Office and Adobe Creative Cloud.
● Database or digital imaging experience a plus.
● Skilled in establishing priorities, coordinating multiple complex projects simultaneously, and meeting deadlines.
● Ability to work independently as well as closely with a small team.
This is a six-month, full-time position. Starting wage is $15/hour.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Please send a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Date Posted: 3/11/2019
This position is subject to sex offender and criminal background checks.
Maine Maritime Museum is an Equal Opportunity Employer.