Maine Maritime Museum (MMM) is an independent, nonprofit institution dedicated to celebrating Maine’s vibrant culture. Because this vibrant culture includes different backgrounds, perspectives, and voices—and because our museum welcomes visitors from around the world—our institution is firmly committed to diversity, equity, accessibility, and inclusion.
If you believe in museums’ important role to reveal the past, to inform the present, and to shape the future, we invite you to join our team. You will join us on the beautiful banks of the Kennebec River, on a twenty-acre campus where collaboration and creativity are encouraged.
Under the direct supervision of the Facilities Manager the Maintenance Custodian is a full-time, year-round position requiring general custodial and maintenance skills. This position is responsible for maintaining cleanliness and upkeep of Museum buildings to the highest standard including: rental spaces, galleries, restrooms, office spaces, and public areas.
The Maintenance Custodian works in close conjunction with the Facilities Manager as well as the Maintenance Technician, Visitor Experience Director, Special Events Manager, and museum volunteers.
The Maintenance Custodian is expected to work flexible hours and be readily available following Museum special events and events taking place in the Museum’s rental facility. This position requires occasional night and weekend work as needed.
There is potential flexibility in this position if the right candidate wishes more involvement in Maintenance or Event support.
• Responsible for cleaning restrooms, replacing paper products, cleaning floors, sinks, toilets and taking out trash
• Ensure all museum public spaces including exhibit and office spaces are held to the highest standard of cleanliness; this entails routine vacuuming, sweeping, mopping, and dusting
• Occasional spot clean or deep clean of carpets, and mopping up spills
• Maintain outer premises by picking up/dispose of trash and recyclables, watering plants, and cleaning entrances
• Maintaining cleanliness of outside deck area including furniture, rails, sweeping off decks and steps
• Responsible for cleanliness of catering kitchen area including floors, sinks, appliances, grease traps and hood
• Assisting Facilities rental team with events and cleanup as needed
• Reporting any damage or missing items to supervisor
• Other routine cleaning and light maintenance tasks as assigned
• Attention to detail and conscientiousness
• Knowledge of safe use and disposal of chemical liquids and other hazardous components
• Familiarity with common industrial cleaning tools
• Outgoing friendly and positive attitude
• Able to work in a repetitive motion
• Ability to lift a minimum of 50lbs.
• Ability to take and follow directions
Terms and How to Apply
The Maintenance Custodian is a full-time position with full benefits in Bath, Maine. Starting pay is $16/hour. Please send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com.
Equal Opportunity Employer
MMM is an equal opportunity employer and does not tolerate discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, gender identity, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, age, protected genetic information, status as a parent, marital status, political affiliation, or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.