Director of Finance
Maine Maritime Museum (MMM) is an independent, nonprofit institution dedicated to celebrating Maine’s vibrant maritime culture. Because this culture includes different backgrounds, perspectives, and voices—and because our museum welcomes visitors from around the world—our institution is firmly committed to diversity, equity, accessibility, and inclusion.
If you believe in museums’ important role to reveal the past, to inform the present, and to shape the future, we invite you to join our team. You will join us on the beautiful banks of the Kennebec River, on a twenty-acre campus where collaboration and creativity are encouraged.
The Director of Finance, a key member of the senior leadership team, serves as the primary financial advisor and fosters a dynamic, supportive workplace culture that is diverse and equitable. They oversee all financial and accounting functions, ensuring accuracy, transparency, and compliance. The Director supervises a Staff Accountant and an Office & Human Resources Assistant and reports to the Executive Director, working closely with senior leadership, contracted project staff, auditors, and the investment manager.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Leadership: Strengthens and grows the sustainable operation of the organization, supporting department heads’ understanding of the financial and operational impact of programming decisions. Continues to build effective and efficient systems, ensuring the museum complies with existing standards and best practices, including UPMIFA, FASB, GAAP, IRS, and Federal and State regulations.
- Accounting: Directs accounting policies, processes, and internal controls and ensures they are performed effectively. Working with the Staff Accountant, manages and reviews accounting functions including the preparation of journal entries, reconciliations, and month-end closing.
- Completes the unitization calculation, and accounts for endowment earnings and distributions. Manages cash activities to maintain appropriate cash levels.
- Financial Reporting & Analysis: Oversees the production of timely, accurate, and complete monthly financial statements, maintaining a current cash flow forecast. Provides financial analysis to the senior leadership team and the Board on business and operational matters, including analysis for capital projects, strategic planning, grant reporting, and other projects as required.
- Human Resources: Fosters the development of an equitable, supportive, and dynamic workplace culture. Supports the Office & Human Resources Assistant and other staff in recruiting talented museum professionals, onboarding and training them effectively, and retaining an exceptional team. Supports workplace DEAI initiatives and staff professional development. Administers the museum health plan and 403(b) retirement plan.
- Risk Management: Manages insurance coverage—including renewals, changes, and claims—and other risk management needs. Reviews employee, volunteer, and visitor safety and compliance with workplace laws and requirements. Maintains files for legal documents, permits, contracts, and grants.
- Audit: Ensures the timely completion of the annual audit and oversees the preparation of tax returns. Coordinates the preparation of supporting documentation.
- Budgeting: Working with the Executive Director and the senior leadership team, directs the annual budgeting process. Develops annual operating and capital budgets—for both restricted and unrestricted projects.
- Governance: Advises the Executive Director and Board of Trustees on the museum’s financial performance and outlook—serving as a knowledgeable resource—and serves on related Committees.
- Performs other related duties as required.
Typical qualifications would be equivalent to:
- Degree in Finance, Accounting, or related field.
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA) license preferred
- Four years or more of experience, showing growth in responsibility.
- Proven nonprofit accounting knowledge and experience.
- Thrives in a team-oriented, collaborative culture built on respect.
- Skilled in Microsoft Office and Google Workspace. Knowledge of accounting (Sage Intacct), customer relationship management (Altru), and point-of-sale systems (Shopify).
- Excellent written and oral presentation skills. Able to compose correspondence and reporting that is creative, convincing, and concise.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
MMM is an equal opportunity employer and does not tolerate discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, gender identity, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, age, protected genetic information, status as a parent, marital status, political affiliation, or any
other basis prohibited by applicable law.
Please email a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.