Maine Maritime Museum (MMM) is an independent, nonprofit institution dedicated to celebrating Maine’s vibrant maritime culture. Because this culture includes different backgrounds, perspectives, and voices—and because our museum welcomes visitors from around the world—our institution is firmly committed to diversity, equity, accessibility, and inclusion.
If you believe in museums’ important role to reveal the past, to inform the present, and to shape the future, we invite you to join our team. You will join us on the beautiful banks of the Kennebec River, on a 20-acre campus where collaboration and creativity are encouraged.
The Store Manager oversees the daily operations of the Visitor Experience Department and Museum Store. This full-time exempt position has strong seasonal components, with a summer focus on supervision of seasonal and year-round staff, daily oversight of retail operations, museum admissions, and cruise ticketing, and a winter focus on retail store buying. The right candidate will be enthusiastic about providing a friendly, accessible, and engaging customer service experience to museum visitors while ensuring the Museum Store carries a variety of products, with a special focus on locally sourced items. This position will work closely with the Director of Visitor Experience, the Marketing & Communications Manager, Director of Finance, and will have daily interactions with facilities, boat crew, volunteers, and the public.
In the retail store buying portion of this role, the Store Manager must have a creative eye to develop and implement merchandising, buying, and reorder plans to maximize sales and profit. This position requires the ability to analyze, track, and manage inventory to ensure the proper mix and availability of product. The Store Manager needs to identify and procure timely, on-trend, quality, mission-driven products that customers want to buy.
Must have strong organizational and time management skills with the ability to successfully juggle several projects simultaneously and meet deadlines. Demonstrated communication skills, leading by example, and creating positive interactions with all museum partners and team members are required. Must have the ability to analyze data and make smart, strategic decisions and recommendations to positively impact the museum’s bottom line.
• Management experience in a customer service or retail field
• Experience in retail environment(s) with knowledge of all aspects of retail operations
• Ability to assess product relevance as relates to museum exhibitions and environment
• Multi-task oriented and ability to quickly shift to adapt to whatever the day demands
• Ability to evaluate financial data and create reports
• Knowledge of visual merchandising and display techniques
• Effective communication skills, both verbal and written
• Strong organization skills
• Knowledge of POS systems. Familiarity with Shopify and Blackbaud Altru a plus.
• Supervise Visitor Experience Staff to ensure a welcoming, friendly, helpful atmosphere for museum visitors
• Handle scheduling and work closely with the Director of Visitor Experience to hire and train both seasonal and
year-round part-time staff
• Respond to escalated visitor concerns and comments, and coordinate with the Director of Visitor Experience to
ensure visitor feedback is given due consideration
• Manage physical and online retail store and oversee annual physical store inventory
• Oversee daily sales activities including: cash management, end-of-day reporting, bank deposits, cash
reconciliation, and submitting monthly reports to the Finance Department
• Develop the buying plan to fulfill the demands of the store
• Responsible for all ordering for Museum Store inventory
• Create monthly and quarterly sales reports to measure store performance
• Work to ensure a healthy gross margin
• Attend trade shows, meet and build relationships with vendors
• Supervise receiving activities and oversee orderly storage of inventory
• Work with museum colleagues to purchase merchandise to complement the museum’s exhibit schedule
• Create a sales plan to support the Museum Store with the Marketing Manager
• Work with Visitor Experience Associates to ensure knowledge of products
• Procure appropriate displays, packaging and wrapping
• Ensure the Museum Store maintains an engaging presence with display cases, wall and window displays
Terms and How to Apply
The Store Manager is a full-time, salaried, exempt position with full benefits in Bath, Maine. Starting salary is $45,000- $55,000 per annum, commensurate with experience. Please submit your cover letter and resume to: email@example.com
Equal Opportunity Employer
MMM is an equal opportunity employer and does not tolerate discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, gender identity, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, age, protected genetic information, status as a parent, marital status, political affiliation, or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.