Maine Maritime Museum (MMM) is an independent, nonprofit institution dedicated to celebrating Maine’s vibrant culture. Because this vibrant culture includes different backgrounds, perspectives, and voices—and because our museum welcomes visitors from around the world—our institution is firmly committed to diversity, equity, accessibility, and inclusion. If you believe in museums’ important role to reveal the past, to inform the present, and to shape the future, we invite you to join our team. You will join us on the beautiful banks of the Kennebec River, on a twenty-acre campus where collaboration and creativity are encouraged.
Supports the mission and goals of Maine Maritime Museum by giving top priority to strategic plan initiatives, teamwork, and public service. Under direction of the Facilities Manager, the Maintenance Technician/Custodian is a full-time, year-round position with benefits. This position holds responsibility for the proper maintenance and upkeep of all buildings and systems of the museum’s 20-acre campus including: infrastructure, grounds and waterfront. The position serves as part of the museum’s security team, and may be responsible for answering after-hours calls from the museum’s security company. The Maintenance Technician/Custodian is additionally responsible for maintaining the cleanliness and appearance of the Museum’s buildings and grounds.
Specific Duties Include:
• Evaluation, maintenance, and upkeep of museum infrastructure, buildings, equipment, systems, grounds, and vehicles
• Monitor and keep utilities functioning at optimal levels, and manage usage including: electricity, water, plumbing, HVAC, security, and sprinkler systems
• Ensure all museum public spaces including exhibit and office spaces are held to the highest standard of cleanliness; this entails routine vacuuming, sweeping, mopping, and dusting
• Seasonal grounds-keeping including mowing, snow removal, and waterfront maintenance
• Assist with seasonal turnover: installation and removal of waterfront and campus seasonal equipment and projects, and coordinate activities with Guest Services schedule
• Responsible for cleaning restrooms, replacing paper products, cleaning floors, sinks, toilets, and taking out trash
• Serve as part of museum’s security team, taking and responding to security and maintenance calls on nights and weekends
• Responsible for daily opening of Museum buildings
• Work effectively with all Museum staff, volunteers, contractors and vendors to maximize productivity while creating a positive and friendly working environment for all
• Reporting any damage or missing items to supervisor
• Other routine cleaning and light maintenance tasks as assigned
Required Skills Include:
• Must hold or be able to obtain a valid Maine driver’s license
• Must have basic maintenance skills and familiarity with carpentry, electric, plumbing, HVAC, etc.
• Working knowledge and experience with and repairing tools, common appliances, and devices
• Familiarity with common industrial cleaning tools and safe use and disposal of chemical liquids and other hazardous components
• Ability to take and follow directions
• Excellent problem-solving skills and dexterity
• Basic computer skills (Microsoft Office)
• Self-motivated with a focus on detail and conscientiousness
• Outgoing friendly and positive attitude
• Able to work in a repetitive motion
• Must be capable of lifting up to 80 pounds and be in good physical condition
• Boat handling experience a plus
Terms and How to Apply
The Maintenance Technician/Custodian is a full-time position with full benefits. Starting pay is $18.81 / hour. Please send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Equal Opportunity Employer
MMM is an equal opportunity employer and does not tolerate discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, gender identity, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, age, protected genetic information, status as a parent, marital status, political affiliation, or any
other basis prohibited by applicable law.