Supports the mission and goals of Maine Maritime Museum by giving top priority to strategic plan initiatives, teamwork, and public service. Under direction of the Facilities Manager, the Maintenance Technician/Custodian is a part-time, year-round position working approximately 25 hours per-week. More hours and work days may be required due to special events held at the museum and snow removal.
This position holds responsibility for the proper maintenance and upkeep of all buildings and systems of the museum’s 20-acre campus including: infrastructure, grounds, and waterfront. The position serves as part of the museum’s security team and may be responsible for answering after hours calls from the museum’s security company. The Maintenance Technician/Custodian is additionally responsible for maintaining the cleanliness and appearances of the museum’s buildings and grounds.
- Evaluate, maintain, and upkeep of museum infrastructure, buildings, equipment, systems, grounds, and vehicles
- Monitor and keep utilities functioning at optimal levels and manage usage including: electricity, water, plumbing, HVAC, security, and sprinkler systems
- Ensure all museum public spaces including exhibit and office spaces are held to the highest standard of cleanliness; this entails routine vacuuming, sweeping, mopping, and dusting
- Seasonal grounds keeping including mowing, snow removal, and waterfront maintenance
- Assist with seasonal turnover: installation and removal of waterfront and campus seasonal equipment and projects, and coordinate activities with Visitor Experience schedule
- Responsible for cleaning restrooms, replacing paper products, cleaning floors, sinks, toilets and taking out trash
- Serve as part of museum’s security team taking and responding to security and maintenance calls on nights and weekends.
- Responsible for daily opening of museum buildings
- Work effectively with all museum staff, volunteer staff, contractors, and vendors to maximize productivity while creating a positive and friendly working environment for all
- Report any damage or missing items to supervisor
- Other routine cleaning and light maintenance tasks as assigned
- Must hold or be able to obtain a valid Maine driver’s license
- Be available 24/7 with prior notification for snow removal
- Must have basic maintenance skills and familiarity with (carpentry, electric, plumbing, HVAC, etc.)
- Working knowledge and experience with and repairing tools, common appliances, and devices
- Familiarity with common industrial cleaning tools and safe use and disposal of chemical liquids and other hazardous components
- Ability to take and follow directions
- Excellent problem-solving skills and dexterity
- Basic computer skills (Microsoft Office)
- Self-Motivated with a focus on detail and conscientiousness
- Outgoing friendly and positive attitude
- Able to work in a repetitive motion
- Must be capable of lifting up to 80 pounds and be in good physical condition
- Boat-handling experience a plus
Terms and How to Apply
The Maintenance Technician/Custodian is a part-time position. Starting pay is $19 / hour. Please send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Maine Maritime Museum is an equal opportunity employer and does not tolerate discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, gender identity, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, age, protected genetic information, status as a parent, marital status, political affiliation, or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
Maine Maritime Museum connects people to the past, present, and future of Maine’s waterways and their global reach.