Wedding and Venue Coordinator
Maine Maritime Museum (MMM) is an independent, nonprofit institution dedicated to celebrating Maine’s vibrant maritime culture. Because this culture includes different backgrounds, perspectives, and voices—and because our museum welcomes visitors from around the world—our institution is firmly committed to diversity, equity, accessibility, and inclusion.
If you believe in museums’ important role to reveal the past, to inform the present, and to shape the future, we invite you to join our team. You will join us on the beautiful banks of the Kennebec River, on a twenty-acre campus where collaboration and creativity are encouraged.
The Wedding and Venue Coordinator is a full-time position and serves as the museum’s representative to our wedding and private event clients, catering business partners, and museum staff. This position works as a team with the Events and Venue Coordinator on all facility rentals. The Wedding and Venue Coordinator must demonstrate a commitment to exceptional customer service, with excellent communication skills and the ability to work independently. Primary duties include conducting site tours for prospective clients, answering ongoing questions prior to an event, and serving as the point of-contact for clients throughout the event, including event set-up and breakdown. The Wedding and Venue Coordinator works closely with clients to develop room layout plans, and provide coordination with our preferred vendors, being on site through the duration of an event to ensure event success. Additionally, this position is responsible for scheduling and maintaining the events calendar, creating and managing event invoices and payments, maintaining a clean and welcoming space, and working with caterers and other vendors to ensure successful events.
Essential Job Functions
• Provide exceptional service for clients renting the event space from the moment they first inquire to the final clean up after an event
• Respond to inquiries and client requests via phone and E-mail in a professional and timely manner
• Prepare and host site visits for potential clients showcasing the venue and highlighting elements of the rental contract
• Perform required event set-up and breakdown including general maintenance and upkeep of the rental spaces
• Manage and meet with vendors, wedding and event planners, and caterers to ensure plans are developed and meet the tenants of the museum’s event contract
• Serve as the museum’s on-site representative during events, to ensure caterers and guests have essential items and events run smoothly while ensuring museum’s rules and interests are met
• Manage and maintain the museum’s event calendar for both internal and external events
• Manage billing of events and processing of invoices
• Build long-term, value-based vendor / client relationships that enable achievement of the events program
• Support other museum departments to coordinate special events, exhibit openings, public programs and meetings
• Work collaboratively as part of the facility rentals team to develop and execute effective sales strategy and achieve annual revenue targets
• Maintain a current level of knowledge and awareness of all Museum exhibits, programs, tours and offerings
• Welcoming and friendly personality
• Proven customer service skills with a passion and talent for customer service and event management
• Effective written and verbal communication skills
• Demonstrate a high level of organizational skills with an exceptional attention to detail
• Ability to work constructively and professionally with diverse groups, with a commitment to working across departments
• Highly comfortable with computer software such as Microsoft Office Suite
• Must be able to work frequent evenings and weekends
• Minimum of two years event or related experience
• Ability to keep up with a sometimes physically demanding position
Terms and Application
The Wedding and Venue Coordinator position is full-time, non-exempt with full benefits. Starting salary is $37–39K per year, commensurate with experience. Please submit your resume and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Date Posted: 3/21/2023
This position is subject to sex offender and criminal background checks.
MMM is an equal opportunity employer and does not tolerate discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, gender identity, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, age, protected genetic information, status as a parent, marital status, political affiliation, or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.