Volunteer Program Manager
Maine Maritime Museum (MMM) is an independent, nonprofit institution dedicated to celebrating Maine’s vibrant maritime culture. Because this vibrant culture includes different backgrounds, perspectives, and voices—and because our museum welcomes visitors from around the world—our institution is firmly committed to diversity, equity, accessibility, and inclusion.
If you believe in museums’ important role to reveal the past, to inform the present, and to shape the future, we invite you to join our team. You will join us on the beautiful banks of the Kennebec River, on a twenty-acre campus where collaboration and creativity are encouraged.
The Volunteer Program Manager will oversee a robust, well-established year-round program of more than 270 volunteers whose invaluable contributions are the lifeblood of the museum. This position is responsible for developing and managing a system for recruitment, training, coordination, engagement, and retention of volunteers. This position also works with museum staff and volunteers to develop and deepen community engagement. Under the direct supervision of the Chief of Staff / Director of Operations this position works in close collaboration with the Guest Services, Marketing, and Development teams to coordinate special group visits, support special events, and cultivate a strong community presence.
An effective Volunteer Program Manager works in conjunction with their supervisor, the Volunteer Council, and staff to establish program strategies, policies, and objectives, and serves as the communications link between the museum and its volunteers through written materials, e-mail, social media, and verbal communications. Critical to this role are the abilities to foster strong relationships and build and retain a diverse and energized group of dedicated volunteers. The Volunteer Program Manager will strive to ensure that vital museum operations are staffed with well-trained, knowledgeable and passionate people in order to support our mission and goals.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Foster a positive volunteer experience by planning, coordinating, and attending volunteer recognition/community programs
- Work closely with all department managers to identify and assess volunteer needs
- Develop and strengthen communications with volunteers through email, social media, news blasts, newsletters, and print materials
- Identify, develop and implement creative volunteer recruitment strategies and methods to attract, retain, and grow a diverse volunteer base through outreach to individuals, organizations, and groups.
- Work with the Public Programs Department and appropriate Museum staff to develop, coordinate, and provide annual training for volunteers with a focus on customer service and professionalism
- Maintain a database of volunteer information including but not limited to service records, contact information, training received, work schedules, and areas of interest
- Performs other related duties as required
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
Associate or Bachelor’s Degree with a focus on Public Administration, Education, Human Resources, or Communications preferred.
- At least 2 years of successful volunteer administration and/or relationship management and a working knowledge of best practices in volunteer coordination
- Great interpersonal, networking, and rapport skills with community members, coworkers and volunteers
- Demonstrated ability to communicate, motivate, lead and relate effectively to a wide variety of individuals; excellent oral and written skills
- Excellent time-management and organizational skills with the ability to work as a team-player
- Experience planning and managing events
- Strong computer skills including familiarity with Microsoft suit and database management
- Demonstrated customer service skills
- Occasional nights and weekends required
The Volunteer Program Manager position is a full-time, non-exempt position with full benefits. Starting pay is $18-
$20 per hour, commensurate with experience.
Email a cover letter and resume to email@example.com. This position is subject to sex offender and criminal background checks
MMM is an equal opportunity employer and does not tolerate discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, gender identity, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, age, protected genetic information, status as a parent, marital status, political affiliation, or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.