Maine Maritime Museum (MMM) is an independent, nonprofit institution dedicated to celebrating Maine’s vibrant maritime culture. Because this vibrant culture includes different backgrounds, perspectives, and voices—and because our museum welcomes visitors from around the world—our institution is firmly committed to diversity, equity, accessibility, and inclusion.
If you believe in museums’ important role to reveal the past, to inform the present, and to shape the future, we invite you to join our team. You will join us on the beautiful banks of the Kennebec River, on a twenty-acre campus where collaboration and creativity are encouraged.
As a key member of the Curatorial team and working under the Chief Curator and with assistance from the Collections & Library Services Manager, the Exhibition Coordinator supports all aspects of the museum’s exhibition program, including scheduling, planning, design, fabrication, and installation. Drawing on interdisciplinary teams inside and outside the museum, they create and implement visitor-centered exhibitions that educate, engage, and surprise.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Works internally with staff from Curatorial and Education departments to develop new exhibitions.
- Works externally with artists, guest curators, and other stakeholders to plan and implement traveling exhibitions, featured shows, and other displays throughout the museum’s grounds. Future opportunities exist to curate individual exhibitions.
- Coordinates logistics for upcoming gallery changeovers, including loan correspondence, shipping, design work, equipment rentals, and artist correspondence.
- Oversees exhibition design and installation, drawing upon internal and external resources.
- Responsible for monitoring and maintaining existing exhibits.
- Supports Development staff to craft grant applications in support of exhibitions.
- Serves as a passionate ambassador for the museum’s exhibition program.
- Performs other related duties as required.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
Holds a bachelor’s degree in a relevant field and/or at least 2 years of experience in exhibition production, graphic design, or curatorial work.
- Excellent project management skills. Ability to multitask and meet deadlines.
- Strong audiovisual technology skills, including projection, digital signage, and interactive media players. Experience with printing exhibit-related materials, including wall panels, vinyl applications, or banners.
- Skilled in design and storytelling. Knowledge or familiarity of maritime material culture is a plus.
- Communicative and collaborative with coworkers and supervisors. Must work well in a cross departmental team environment with Curatorial, Education, Facilities, Guest Services, Development, and Finance staff.
- An open-minded, strategic thinker.
- Strong preparator and art-handling skills.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, Google Workspace, and Adobe Creative Cloud.
- Familiarity with or willingness to learn PastPerfect Web Edition.
The Exhibition Coordinator position is a full-time, salaried, exempt position with full benefits. Starting salary is $35–45k per annum, commensurate with experience.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
MMM is an equal opportunity employer and does not tolerate discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, gender identity, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, age, protected genetic information, status as a parent, marital status, political affiliation, or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
Please email a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org