Accessibility and Services
The Maine Maritime Museum campus sits on 20-waterfront acres and includes 15 structures housing numerous exhibits and displays. The campus is navigated via a mix of paved and gravel walkways that are suitable for strollers and wheelchairs; with a few areas of substantial incline in the historic shipyard. The floors in historic buildings and gravel paths may be uneven; please watch your step. The majority of buildings have accessible entrances at the main level; upper levels of historic buildings are only accessible by stairs. For guests with mobility issues, Guest Services staff is happy to arrange golf cart service around campus. The floating docks can be reached via the accessible ramp. Wheelchair access aboard the cruise boat Merrymeeting is limited to the main cabin; on-board restrooms are not wheelchair accessible. There is no on-board access to the historic schooner Mary E, but our trained docents are happy to provide a presentation about its history dockside. Guests traveling by water are welcome to tie up to the floats for day visits or call in advance to make arrangements for overnight dockage or mooring reservations. The Visiting Yachtsman’s building houses accessible restrooms, shower, and laundry for dockage guests.
Parking & Services
• There are 11 handicap-accessible parking spaces, as well as a drop-off area with benches located in close proximity to the museum’s main entrance.
• Parking for larger vehicles is available in our south lot (no overnight parking).
• Accessible restrooms are located in the Maritime History Building and Visiting Yachtsman’s Building. Changing tables are available in all of the museum’s restrooms.
• Wheelchairs are available for loan at the Guest Services Desk.
• Service animals are welcome, but pets and support animals are restricted to the south end of campus and not permitted in any building. Dogs must be leashed; please clean up after your pet.
• Maine Maritime Museum is a smoke-free campus.
• Food service is available from June through early October at the Even Keel Cafe located in the historic shipyard.
• While visiting the museum you may be photographed or filmed, and footage may be used in promotional materials.
Please share suggestions on how we can better accommodate you on your next visit: firstname.lastname@example.org.