The evocation of the schooner Wyoming, built on the campus of Maine Maritime Museum where the original vessel was constructed and launched in 1909, has been a centerpiece attraction for visitors to Maine’s mid-coast region since 2006. The metal sculpture of the famed ship’s bow and stern sections are truly impressive sitting on the banks of the Kennebec River in Bath. At more than 400′ from jib-boom tip to stern plate, they constitue the largest outdoor public work of art in New England.
But for many Museum insiders and supporters this Wyoming would not be complete until the six masts that bore the sails of its namesake, the largest wooden commerical sailing ship ever built in North America, were represented in the work of art. That day is now approaching.
Addition of the six ‘masts’ of Wyoming will be completed during spring 2013, with a dedication ceremony set for Saturday, June 1.
The following materials and information related to the schooner Wyoming and to the evocation are provided for the use of the working press only.
Please direct all additional queries and interview requests to firstname.lastname@example.org or call 207-443-1316 ext 323.